I realized that I really enjoy updating this blog and I don’t do it enough. That I really don’t use my camera enough and it’s something that I enjoy doing and learning about. So I’m going to spend more time doing both and now onward.
In looking at my plants, I realized the watermelons were not really growing which is probably the only down with the plants I’m seeing. They weren’t doing bad but they aren’t growing in the same the cucumbers and tomatoes are. I started watching the sun and I’m thinking the cucumbers were blocking it. I flipped them around and they seem to be doing better. I also used some rods to encourage the cucumbers to grow up rather than taking over the whole planter. They have been growing crazy vines which makes it easy to have them grow up the rods.
When we came back from vacation the flowers on the cucumber plant were turning into cucumbers! Very exciting! I’m guessing in a few weeks we should have some cucumbers.
The tomato plant also has started to flower. It is also huge – it’s taller than I am. I don’t set the bar really high only being 5’0″ but still they are huge.
Last update, some of the flower seeds I planted have started to bloom.
It has been a while! I have been busy. We went to Vegas this weekend and I joined the 30-somethings of the world. I figured Vegas would be a fun place to turn 30 – I had never been and we had a great time. I’m excited for this new chapter in my life and for my plants 🙂Tomatoes are growing strong! One plant is bigger but the little one is hanging in there. I put a zip tie on the bar to help it grow straighter, I didn’t attach the zip tie to the plant but just for it to lean on. I’m pretty excited about how they are shooting up. I do not remember which flowers these are, but they are doing well. They are from the packet of seeds I purchased from Food52 and all the flowers looked beautiful. I’m excited to see them bloom. My cucumbers have started growing vines. I’m thinking I need some sticks to help them with the vine issue. As you can see, the middle guy attached himself to the one on the right. I’m not sure what that means 🙂 but I’m guessing I need to provide something for the climbing. The watermelons seem to be doing well, they seem healthy and I planted a couple of marigolds in there. I’m excited to see theses bloom.
“There is a fountain of youth: it is your mind, your talents, the creativity you bring to your life and the lives of people you love. When you learn to tap this source, you will truly have defeated age.” Sophia Loren
The day after transplanting, I came home to this. My precious cucumbers, shriveled up and sad. I’m blaming the tarp (and myself, but mostly the tarp). In my last post. I mentioned that I didn’t cut holes first, I put the plants in first. This was a huge mistake (but also the tarp’s fault, somehow).
I took the tarp off and put a sheet over all the plants. They were struggling with the sun, above are the tomatoes. I left the sheet over for a week.
As you can see, those three are the ones that have been surviving. I added more soil as well. They are definitely growing straighter and seem stronger than this picture. I think I saved them, at least 3 of the 5 anyway.
Lastly, the watermelons are fine. Of course they are, I was worried the most about them. Isn’t that always how it works out 🙂
“A person who never made a mistake is a person who never tried anything new.” Albert Einstein
According to my directions, it was time to transplant my seedlings. I bought my city pickers at my local home depot, you can also get them online. I mostly followed the directions. The unit comes with directions and google has them as well.
First, you layer the potting mix and cover it with some lime. I used Kellogg Garden Organics Raised Bed and Potting Mix (available at Home Depot) and Espoma Organic Garden Lime (Home Depot). Next you add more mix and dig a trough to put the fertilizer. I used Kellogg Garden Organics Tomato, Vegetable & Herb Fertilizer (Home Depot). Then you cover it with the last of the mix.
Here is where I went really wrong. I put the plants in first, instead of cutting a hole and them putting the plants in. This was a HUGE mistake. I usually am pretty careful and follow directions but in the excitement I wasn’t thinking. I will write more on this later but in addition to cutting the plastic all weird I needed more soil and didn’t put the seedlings in far enough. You do not want the leaves touching the plastic, it will dry them out.
This is how one is supposed to put the seedlings in, cut a hole then place them in.
My next post doesn’t have great news, the cucumbers might not make it. Whomp, whomp 😦 I’ll wait a couple of days, a few might pull through.
“The season of failure is the best time for sowing the seeds of success.”
My mini-watermelons are coming along just fine. Three of the five have started growing and I definitely consider that a success. They have finally reached the top of the bag. Their second leaves are coming in.
This little guy came up late. The seed is still on there 🙂 All five cucumber seeds sprouted which is exciting.
Most of the cucumbers are starting their third leaves, except the little one.
Tomato seedlings have several leaves now. This weekend I’ll be heading to the garden store to get my city pickers planters and materials. We have chicken nugget the weekend I’m going to transfer them and he’ll have more fun planting than shopping – for some reason 5 year old’s find dirt more fun than a store. I’m also getting more seeds tomorrow, edible flowers and mixed greens. While I don’t plan on eating the flowers, I do want to have some flowers outside and options are nice.